Photo by Jim Stapleton on Unsplash
Celebrate Labor Day By Checking In With Your Car
Labor Day is a national holiday celebrating the hard work we all put in every day. Each and every one of us plays a vital role in the functioning of our society. Though we should never forget this important fact, it’s crucial to be mindful of it on Labor Day Weekend. Some of us may still be working on Monday, while others may be headed back from road trips. Still, I encourage everyone to think about one of their most hard-working possessions: their vehicle!
Day in and day out, our cars take us to and from the office. We sit in traffic, fill ‘er up no matter the gas prices, and rely on her to take us to those leisurely activities in our off-time. Today, think about the following questions regarding your vehicle:
- When was the last time I got an oil change? You should get an oil change every 3,000 miles or six months, whichever comes first. Oil changes need to be consistent and honored in your schedule, even if it feels like there’s too much going on to come in.
- When was the last time I checked my maintenance schedule? Your owner’s manual has vital information on when things like belts and parts need to be replaced. Even if you take the utmost care of your vehicle, most parts have an expiration date. Pay attention to your maintenance schedule and get ahead of replacements before they become problems.
- How have my brakes been feeling lately? It’s hard to tell when you’re in the midst of it and focused on your morning routines (getting the kids to school, stopping for a coffee before work, etc.), but our brakes will feel different when they need some work. Try to be conscious of your stopping time and how much pressure you apply when driving.
- Is my tire pressure where it should be? You may notice your tire pressure doing funky things as it gets colder here in the Treasure Valley. This is normal, but if things are dropping and rising and strange rates, it may be time to bring ‘er in.
- What does the tread look like on my tires? It’s officially the time of year when you need to be extra safe about your tires. If you typically don’t winterize your vehicle, this may be the year to consider it. Regardless, check the tread on your tires to see if your car needs a tire rotation or new tires.
- Could my car use a wash? Some think car washes are a luxury–but we beg to differ! A clean car–a windshield, in particular–can keep you safe during your commute.
We all deserve a break–our vehicles included! Before heading out to your Labor Day BBQ or leaving for the long weekend, come see us at Dowdy’s to check in on your vehicle. The fall and winter seasons are right around the corner, so take a few minutes this week to assess your vehicle’s readiness.
Dowdy’s Automotive, with multiple locations in the Treasure Valley (Boise, Meridian, Ontario), is here to help you with vehicle maintenance and repair! Please be sure to schedule a service appointment. Check out the website or Like our Facebook page for updates and news. Schedule a time to drop off your car for service. The Dowdy’s Automotive team is always happy to serve.